A divorce is an important decision in your life, which shouldn’t be taken lightly. You need the assistance of an efficient Fort Lauderdale divorce attorney to help you through the long and tedious divorce process which entails so many aspects.
You will need assistance making the right decisions on things like alimony, child support, division of property and assets. This is why you need to hire a lawyer who is specifically experienced in divorce and family law, and not the first attorney you come across.
Choosing your Fort Lauderdale divorce attorney
So here are a few tips which will help you find a suitable lawyer to handle your case.
- Find out if the lawyer is a certified family law specialist in divorce cases or if it’s a part of their practice. Find out how many years of experience they have in the field and how many cases they’ve handled.
- Make sure the divorce attorney you speak to will represent your case and not someone else. If someone else will be handling the case, you need to personally meet them to find out how experienced they are at handling the case.
- Ask them their charges like their hourly rates, and if they charge for the time spent with other lawyers, secretaries and paralegals. Find out if there are any additional costs you have to be ready for like cost of hiring private investigators, physicians and forensic accountants.
- Ask for an approximate cost for the case. It’s not possible to give an estimate at the start of the case as it depends on the level of conflict of the case. You can trust an attorney who gives you this answer. You however have to be careful of those who quote a low rate upfront as they are doing it solely with the intention of getting your case.
- Find out what strategy your attorney has in mind for your case and how long they will require resolving it. Ask them their instincts about your case, and what they expect the judge to predict.
- You never know when you may require your lawyer’s services. So find out how long they take to return phone calls and how you can contact them in emergencies.
- Ask if you will be able to make direct negotiations with your spouse and if it’s possible to keep the divorce costs as low as possible.
With the help of these 7 tips, you will be able to hire an efficient, affordable and experienced Fort Lauderdale divorce attorney who will do their best to win your case in your favor!